Monday, October 14, 2013

Poor Yet Rich

(10.13.13)

As part of the James Bible study the ladies are doing I'm working on memorizing the book of James. 
As I sat in church this morning, unable to understand, I started in on chapter two. After saying verse five a few times, "Listen, my beloved brothers and sisters. Has not God chosen the poor in the world to be rich in faith and to be heirs of the kingdom that he has promised to those who love him?" the part about the poor in the world being rich in faith struck me.
There I was in a little Haitian church sitting among the poor of the world and witnessing their rich faith as I memorized James 2:5.
As convoluted as some of the beliefs are here, with as much influence of voodoo and myth that are present, these people have some of the greatest, most devout faith I've seen. The joy and enthusiasm they worship with would put us to shame. 
After listening to Haitians pray we've commented more than once that we Americans don't really know what it means to pray. That's just one example.
While there are things we can teach these people we also have so much to learn from them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment