Friday, April 26, 2013

Bonjour


I’ve had one of those weeks when you wonder and ask yourself “why am I here?” (attacks from the enemy.)
Tachi took some time off and with Josh and Megan in the States I have been running the Café. So since I’ve been back I’ve been in the Café everyday (except Sunday) 7-3ish. It’s been slow and you do ask “why am I here doing this? I could be working at a Café in the States…” (might I add we don’t have teams in right now and it’s been very sloooow, literally have had about 20 people come in since I’ve been back.)
Anyway, today I started my morning in the Café and then made a WAY overdue trip up the mountain (it had been over four weeks!), I gave a tour to three teachers who are here with another organization visiting various schools in hopes to find one to partner with long-term. I finished the day in the Café, making cinnamon rolls for breakfast tomorrow, etc. Instead of coming home and laying down I decided to personally deliver some leftover cinnamon rolls to the Freedom House girls (it had been far too long since I’d visited them at their house as well), I was able to sit, hold babies, and chat with them for an hour before I had to come home and take care of some emails. Shortly after finishing that I hear a voice at my door, “Sharon? Sharon?” One of our Freedom House girls had come over to bring me her baby J Anytime they are here she immediately finds me to give me her baby (poor mama just wants a little break to be a kid because that’s what she is…) Anyway, I got out the fingernail polish and had her go get the other girls! So in my small little room we had four girls, two babies, a boy and myself painting nails and getting nails painted! We listened to music and laughed; now the girls are down at the house waiting for dinner to be ready, after that it’s movie night (Sister Act:2!).
Today has been a good day. Today has been a gift from God. Today answered why I’m here.
I’m here for all those kids running around at school calling “Sharon!” I’m here to encourage the teachers who were so excited to know I was back (humbled, happy heart), I’m here to build relationships with our Freedom House girls, to teach and encourage them, to show them the love of Christ. I am here for Joseph* as we figure out what God’s plan is for his young life, I’m here to live daily life with the people God puts in my life on a daily basis even if it means sitting in a Café for 8 hours a day and only having 20 customers in 8 days.
When I was Stateside I had a conversation with Stephanie about that fact that even when you are overseas and your working title is “missionary” you can get distracted with daily living, you still have to make sure you are making ministry a priority, you still have to intentionally make the choice and decision to build relationships. I mean it’s really easy to come home after an 8 hour day at the Café and take a nap, or just sit in silence for a while. It’s easy to have dinner and then go straight back to your room to enjoy more of the quiet, or work on this project or that, to spend the evening answering email, etc. I too have to be more intentional with my time and make it a point to be more attentive to the needs around me, to take advantage of the opportunities I am given to build relationships and share the love of Christ.

Yup, that’s what I’ve been thinking whether or not it makes sense written out on this blog…

No comments:

Post a Comment