Thursday, April 25, 2013

Randomnesses...


Feel like I haven’t had a chance to sit down and collect my thoughts so we’re going with a quick bullet-point blog :) 

Randomnesses... 

  • My best investment while in the States was an iPod dock! I’m loving, loving, loving it! I missed having music playing (out loud) the past three months.
  • Unbaked cinnamon rolls do not keep in the fridge for 2.5 days…
  • Forget A/C, I’m privileged and blessed to have a fan.
  • Ants are attracted to pigeon poo…
  • Pigeon poo is hard to clean when it’s old and dry.
  • I didn’t have to buy a return ticket!
  • Not everyone is out for a buck or looking for a hand-out.
  • I miss corporate worship (in English). So good to spend two Sundays with my church family in the States.
  • Joseph* is still with us and SO much happier and more like himself than when he arrived 3 weeks ago.
  • I’ve not had one pop/juice/carbonated drink since I’ve been back! Now if I can just keep it up…
  • Had my first Creole lesson this week, oy! Sadly my teacher will be heading to the States soon (Lord willing) for school.
  • “Randomly” met four women last Tuesday as we stood in the re-booking line. They work with women in Haiti “building better lives through art.” I’m excited to carry their product in our boutique, and am thankful for their excitement for what we are doing here in Gressier, and their willingness to spread the word about RH Café.
  • I’ve not been up the mountain for over a month. As much as I want to head up and see the kiddos I am dreading the hike…
  • There’s a lady who sells coffee along the road right down from our house, I pass her every morning on my walk to the Café. I’m loving our morning exchange of “bonjour madame,” “bonjour mademoiselle.” It’s not much but I feel like we’re building a sort of friendship and can’t wait for the day I can carry on more of a conversation with her!
  • Gearing up for the arrival of 9-11 interns over the next month, and groups starting back up next week. Praying for a smooth summer intern season as I get to be “in charge” this summer.
  • Not knowing more Creole is becoming extremely frustrating when the majority of the people you work/live with/around speak no English (not that I expect them to, I was just spoiled in Jacmel with most of the kids knowing a good amount of English).
  • I love dinner at the RH house! You never know who you’re going to find when you come down, the Freedom House girls might be there, most evenings you’ll find James (our moto driver/errand runner), sometimes you’ll find Solomon (a good friend who use to work in the LYN garden on Bellevue mountain), once in a blue moon Sophie pops in (an American who use to rent a room with us), on occasion Bernard (one of our translators) will stay for dinner, Fifi (our house keeper) doesn’t stay for dinner but always comes back to take food home. Love the giving, helping spirit of RH.
  • I look at the people with whom I work and live and pray I too work, serve, and live with even just a fraction of the love and passion they work, serve and live with.










No comments:

Post a Comment