Friday, May 18, 2012

Just Another Day


Nothing extraordinary happened yesterday but throughout the day I kept thinking,  I need to blog about today. It was another one of those days where I had to sit back and take in that this is where God has me right now.
The day started off with plans to knock out a few projects, mark lots of things off my to-do list, morning beach trip with the toddlers and babies… By 9:15 those plans were already out the window.
As I was off to start the one project Matt and I were really wanting to finish yesterday I remembered I needed to do check-ups (had been doing them on Wednesday but Wednesday is now my day off), so I got started on that and Matt was sitting on the galri talking to kids. Well 1.5 hours later I finish check-ups and Matt is still sitting on the galri.
I was going to make a comment about him being lazy and not starting in on the project but I’m glad I didn’t because he’d been talking to our oldest girl about salvation, baptism, and taming the tongue. I’m really glad I got in on the last part of the conversation and hopefully we’ll regularly do more one-on-one things like that. So our morning project didn’t get started at all but in the grand scheme of things it’s unimportant anyway. Flexibility is key : )

I did manage to get a few things done in the afternoon and just as I was getting going on some computer work that needed to be done Matt comes to my room and asks if I want to go to the beach with the little kids… Work, beach? Work, beach? Oh, wait. I work at an orphanage and part of my job is kid activities so going to the beach is work! Yes, I’ll go to the beach with the little kids : ) Again, planned work didn’t get done but that’s okay.
There was a young boy at the beach (he has crab traps off the beach where we were swimming) who we see every now and then. He’s a really good swimmer, does crazy flip things, really friendly cute kid… he just doesn’t wear clothes when he swims. Not a big deal just another day in Haiti swimming with a naked child. Funny the things that quickly become normal and don’t really bother you.




So that was my day which is somewhat typical for everyday. Have plans, plans don’t happen, get some things done while other things go undone, have great conversation with kids, late beach trips, swimming with naked children, worship night, hanging out with the team.

Oh, and I wasn’t thinking about blogging this but it was kinda funny…
Last night Natalie and I were hanging out at Stephen and Carrie’s apartment, we start to head over to the group house around 11 and I notice the boys’ apartment is locked up and dark… So I tell Natalie we should walk the ledge to their back galri (the guys live on the second story of the group/big house with their bedroom in the back corner and a little porch off the bedroom) and bang on their windows. Cam is always sneaking up on the boys’ house and scaring them so I felt like they were fair game. We tell Stephen and he pretty much encourages us, so Natalie and I go walk the ledge to the galri and pound on the door that goes into their bedroom, hop the rail and stand on the ledge waiting for any sort of reaction. We hear nothing, see nothing, no one comes out (except Carrie from her apartment to see what’s going on) so we come back down to our room thinking that was really lame they’re probably still sleeping.

Come to find out this morning Cam was just getting into that state of deep sleep and jumped out of his bed, turned on the light, and started looking for his knife, he didn’t go out the door because there was a rocking chair in front of it. Josue thought it was gun shots, and Matt was just upset that he was woken up and continued to lay there when he saw Cam was up and moving (I guess he thought Cam would protect him). Anyway, Cam called Stephen to see who was there before storming the galri (we have 14 security cameras on campus and the monitor is in Stephen and Carrie’s house). So ends up we were more successful than we thought. Now we just have to sleep with one eye open…

No comments:

Post a Comment