Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Life in Haiti

I wrote this blow last Friday but our internet was out and I'm just finding time to post it. I've had many things I've wanted to post between now and then but it just hasn't happened...


So there are things that are just part of life in Haiti and I'm sure you’ve heard about some of them. Things like no hot water, not for showers, laundry or dishes, none. Inconsistent power  and only being able to run certain things, such as, the washer and dry, hair dryers, power tools, etc. when we’re on generator power. Not having the convenience of simply running to Wal-Mart for whatever you need whenever you need it. That most definitely does not happen in Haiti, though I’m finding out there is more available here in Jacmel than I realized. Cockroaches, mice, spiders, ants and other creatures, these are all part of daily life in Haiti that you (I) quickly, for the most part, adjust to. And then there was my baking experience on Friday… you might know why you sift your flour at home but do you know why I was sifting my flour on Friday?? You can check out the picture to find out why :)
I was going to say it’s not something so easily adjusted too, but I guess I did considering the fact that I sifted through about 14 cups of flour and then proceeded to use what I needed for my tortillas. Did I mention sifting wasn’t 100% effective? Yeah, that’s life in Haiti. You shrug your shoulders, do what you have to do, and keep going.
Who wants to visit?!? I have fresh baked homemade tortillas! ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment