Saturday, April 14, 2012

Days Off...

I didn't expect to be on here writing as often as I am but I'm sure that will change as the summer rolls along. So don't get used to it :)

We each have a day of during the week to do whatever we want. Stay in your room all day, take a trip to the beach, hike, anything to "get away" and have some "alone" time. Fridays are my day off (in two weeks I will have a roommate and someone to share my days off with. yay!), so on my first day off I spent the morning getting the group house ready for a small group that stopped in for the day/night, sweeping the rooms since the cleaning lady isn't here on Fridays, discussing weekly "check-ups" with Carrie, a job a will start next week, and doing dishes. Sounds like a great day off, huh? I'm sure this is something I'll get better at as I'm here longer and have someone to hang out with on days off.

Stephen and Cameron took the group to the beach but I stayed behind to talk medical with Carrie with turned into about 3.5 hours of talking which was really good. It was the first time we'd really had the chance to sit down and talk. It was also nice for her as she's been the only female American staff here pretty much since they came down in October.
We ended up taking a girls night out to Cyvadier Plage for dinner (we brought along Carrie's daughter and the lone female group member), and just came in from a couple hours on the porch with Katie, Cameron, Matt, Carrie and Stephen.
So although I ended up working on my day off it was a good relaxing day for the most part.

This post is far from exciting but it's a small glimpse into a "day in the life."
For those of you interested in the specifics of what I'm doing, I am in charge of he group house, so I'm basically a group host. It's my jobs to have the rooms ready for groups (beds made, towels out, laundry, etc.), being the go to person for any needs groups have when it comes to the house. There is a cleaning lady four days a week but it's my job to make sure things are in order overall, and get after people when they leave their junk laying around :) as well as evening dishes and making sure evening meals are cleaned up after.
On Mondays I will be spending the afternoons in the kitchen teaching the cooks new dishes, hopefully this goes well and they'll be able to expand their somewhat limited menu.
Tuesday is weekly order day so I'll be helping Matt fill and deliver the weekly orders.
Wednesdays I will be doing weekly check-ups on all the kids.
Thursdays all the kids school books have to be checked so I'll me helping Matt with that as well.
I will be helping Matt do monthly depot inventory, as well as inventorying all donations brought in by groups, and just keeping the depot organized in general.
I'm also the shoe lady. The kids are constantly saying the need shoes so we (I) have to evaluate if it's legit or if a shoe was broken on purpose in order to get new shoes, if a nanny told the child to break the shoes in order to get new ones, if they're just hiding their shoes to get new ones... yeah, it's gonna be fun :) I already have multiple kids a day coming up to me with sad puppy dog faces saying "sandal, sandal" in their cute Haitian accent. I feel like I'm doing pretty good at saying no. I've only handed out one pair of shoes so far.

So, yeah, I think that's basically all of my "official" responsibilities aside from the general playing with, caring for, loving on, hanging out with, watching, etc. of kids.
And now this is long and it's 12:30 a.m. and I'm definitely just babbling. Not to mention the fact that I'm suppose to be making a grocery list for Stephen and Carrie since they're going to Port tomorrow.
I'll try to have something more exciting to share next time ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment