Tuesday, April 24, 2012

It’s been over a week and I can’t remember all that has happened in order to sum it up…We were talking about how living in Haiti is a weird time warp. So many things can go on in a 24 hour period that it feels like you’ve lived two days worth of events, yet the weeks fly by and May is nearly here!A moment that I loved last week was during our Saturday trip to the beach with some of the girls. One of the younger girls will not go out deeper than her ankles if someone isn’t holding her. She won’t even walk out if you’re holding her hand, if you carry her out and then say you’re going to put her down she freaks out.Anyway, Matt and I had been swinging some of the girls by their arms and legs and throwing them into the water. Well Matt brought Loveda out (little girl afraid of the water) and passed her to me so I grab her hands and he grabs her legs and tells her we’re just going to swing her. We do and he lets go of her legs but I keep a hold of her arms so she “lands” standing up and Loveda says, “again, again” so we do it again and Loveda says, “again, again.” So Matt tells her if we do it a third time we’re both letting go… we swing her again and both let go (gently and close by of course :) ), she kind of lands in a wave, her face is down in the water and we’re just waiting for her reaction (I was ready for the freaking out to begin) when she pops up her head and with an expression I can’t describe or replicate she gives up a double thumbs up and says, “again, again!” It was the best thing ever. We were smiling and laughing as we kept throwing her and had to drag her out of the water. Love that little girl.I might mention that was the second water fear we overcame last week, although the one still needs some work but we’ll have him out and swimming before the summers over.I’ve personally struggled with feeling a little useless at times with not knowing the language and not being able to drive a stick. It really limits the things I can do and ways I’m able to help out.Trying not to focus on my limitations and let them keep God from using me in other ways.
side note: uploading a picture can take 10+ minutes and drains the internet but I will try to post at least one sometime soon since I know that's what people really want to see :) 

1 comment:

  1. Loving it! So glad you are having this wonderful experience. Praying for you and the kids!

    ReplyDelete