Sunday, January 6, 2013

First-Hand

(written 1.4.13)
Things are so different here from Jacmel. Not just the location and living conditions (I don’t like using that word because it makes it sound like the conditions are bad, which they aren’t), but the ministry.
We have a team here this week doing a medical clinic and yesterday I spent the day in the clinic helping where needed. I started out outside playing with kids who were waiting, attempting to talk with them :) always fun. I moved inside and helped people find eyeglasses, took people for urine tests, ran here, ran there. But there were two women who stuck out.
We actually sent one lady to the hospital with one of our doctors, hoping she’d be able to get a biopsy. That didn’t happen. Long story short without the biopsy there isn’t a way of knowing exactly what is going on, what treatment/procedure she needs. Is it an infection? Is it cancer? Either way it’s not good. If it’s cancer this lady’s only chance of survival is a miracle.
The Dr. decided to clean it up and try to drain it (this is the part I got in on) and based on that she really thinks it is cancer, there was no puss or anything like that.
(this might get graphic) But to see that woman’s breast the size of a cantaloupe, burst open, fungating, leaking “stuff” and not being able to REALLY do anything seemed so wrong. All we could do was clean it, wrap it up, give antibiotics and pain meds, and tell her to come back Sunday. The hope is that maybe it will look better and the Dr. can, possibly, rule out cancer. That is not likely.
I’ve heard these kinds of stories of course, I know these things happen in Haiti every. single. day. But I have never personally experienced or witnessed it. To see it first-hand it hits you like simply hearing about it cannot. I cannot imagine being in her situation and knowing there is no way to get help. Unless some doctors come in and see me for free, give me free meds, possibly surgery, all I can do is live with it. If she goes to a hospital  here they turn her away because it is so bad (they don’t want to chance the statistic of another death).
This woman was(is) a trooper. She doesn’t really have pain unless she is being poked, pressed and prodded, thank God, but she sat there and said, “God gave me this.” She wasn’t saying it in a bad, angry, bitter, upset way. Just matter of fact. This is from God.
Sorry for the rambling, still processing.

I don’t know the whole story with the other lady who touched my heart. I walked up after she’d been seen and Jessi and the doctor were talking to her. This is what I got though, this woman was taking care of two children, a two year old and a baby, who aren’t hers biologically. She was breastfeeding the older child and couldn’t/wouldn’t breastfeed the younger because she couldn’t produce enough milk.
Jess told her the older child is doing great and doesn’t need to be breastfeed anymore but that baby was small and NEEDED her breast milk. Don’t know why but the woman took this kind of hard. They have her vitamins, they gave her formula for the baby to supplement while her body produces more milk.
I don’t know why but as Jessi told this woman how special she was, that God had chosen her to care for these children, that she was blessed, to stay strong, tears welled up in my eyes.
I’m sure this woman has next to nothing to begin with but she took these kids on not only sacrificing money, food, housing, etc. but her body as well. My mind is blown away by these people.

No comments:

Post a Comment