Friday, January 25, 2013

Reality Check


(1.21.13)

There is a young 12 year old boy, Baylove, who has the biggest, brightest smile that goes to his eyes, he lives on BellVue mountain. I’ve only ever seen him with a smile on his face, and most times I see him he is carrying his little water jug, hiking from one side of the mountain where he lives, to the other side where he gets water. What’s in between those two places? Respire Haiti Christian School. Baylove has NEVER been to school... NEVER. Not once.
Today I was in the K-2 class and looked up to see Baylove walking past the window. My eyes lit up when I saw him, and there was that big smile. I went to the window shook his hand, talked to him and you could see the longing in his eyes, wishing he were sitting in a classroom, yet he was so happy. I asked if he’d eaten today and he said no. But did the smile leave his eyes? No.
It was another reality check. I’ve been sleeping on a super uncomfortable mattress, springs popping up and poking, you have to re-adjust through the night so you don’t wake up with sore spots, and before I had a “proper” mosquito net it was even more uncomfortable and harder to sleep. I’ve only voiced
these things once, maybe twice, but every time I see Baylove it’s a smack in the face. How can I complain about the discomfort of my mattress when so many of our kids may not have mattress to sleep on. How can I be bothered when our house runs out of water and we have to a)walk to the other house to shower or b)walk 10 yards to the cistern to draw a bucket of water when Baylove has to walk across the mountain to get water EVERY day, most likely multiple times a day.
Reality Check.

Fenickson is an 11 year old neighbor boy who goes to our school. He doesn’t have a very good home situation so he spends a lot of time hanging out here. A few days ago Josh asked him if he ate everyday and he looked at Josh like it was the dumbest question ever. Of course he doesn’t eat everyday (other than what he gets at school five days a week). We can always tell when Fenickson is hungry; he is a whole different boy after he’s eaten.
He’s such a bright kid who just needs love, time invested in him, to be taken care of. So much potential going unrecognized by those who should notice. I love it when he’s here and my heart breaks when I see him arriving at school with his sad look, when I see him walking along the road, or around the mountain with that same look.
Reality Check.

When I see these boys it’s a reminder to take any focus off myself, to see the needs around me, to make sure I take the time to say a simple “hi” and ask “how are you?” I pray through these simple gestures, through getting to know these boys, they will know they have potential. I pray they will realize there are people who care, that through us they will see and experience the love of Christ. I pray they will come to know hope; the hope of a future not only on this earth but, most importantly, in heaven.

My heart breaks thinking of these boys and at the same time is so happy for the hope there is for them. The hope and prayer is that Baylove will possibly be able to get some tutoring over the summer to learn some basic things and start school next fall. I’m so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment